There has been a lot written on the subject of academia and how to successfully get your child off to college (at your expense, of course), but there seems to be a shortage of material telling a parent how to deal with a child who is busy furthering his/her education (at your expense, of course). So, I have come up with a handy pocket guide to use while visiting your college-based young adult/child in college (at your expense, of course).
RULES FOR VISITING YOUR CHILD’S DORM OR APARTMENT:
1. Never, ever make surprise visits.
2. If you must make a surprise visit, remember you will be much more surprised than your child.
3. Never look under the bed or in the closet. I mean it.
4. If you do look under the bed, do not comment on the three sets of eyes staring back at you.
5. Never open the fridge.
6. If you do open the fridge, do not comment on the fact that the only contents are a Ding-Dong, a 6-pack of beer, a bong shaped like Rush Limbaugh and half a bottle of Dark Eyes vodka.
1. The state and federal highway signage.
2. The large, neon flashing Miller Light beer sign above the bed or the life-size poster of a naked woman wearing nothing but a jock strap and baseball hat that says “I (heart) I-69.”
3. The absence of any fruits or vegetables.
4. The multiple packages of condoms on every table in the apartment. (thank god …)
5. The used condoms in the corner behind the bed … eeeiiiiooowww!
6. The mold in the bathroom.
7. The pubic hair carpet in the bathroom … eeeiiiiooowww!
8. The stack of pornographic DVDs next to the TV stand … eeeiiiiooowww!
THINGS NOT TO SAY TO YOUR KID:
1. When was the last time you washed those sheets?
2. Is that a cockroach?
3. Are those college textbooks you’re using as a prop to hold up the kitchen table?
4. Have you found a good barber yet?
5. Do you have any idea what all this costs?!
6. Did you know that STDs are the fastest growing disease among college students?
7. What exactly is your GPA?
8. I too, used to listen to Led Zepplin.
THINGS NOT TO SAY TO YOUR CHILD’S COLLEGE ROOMMATE:
1. Do you smoke?
2. Do you drink?
3. Do you smoke marijuana from a Rush Limbaugh bong?
4. What exactly does that tattoo mean?
5. Have you ever bought alcohol for my child?
6. What is your parents’ name and phone number?
7. Does your religion prohibit premarital sex?
8. What is your GPA?
9. Did you know that STDs are the fastest growing disease among college students?
10. This is a very friendly town. I’ve noticed all the police call you by your first name.
11. Do you think my kid has any idea what all of this is costing his father and me?
12. Hey, I understand, I was your age once.
by viv sade